Dave from allposterforum.comalso sent me this NeverEnding Story quad to practice on.
Pre-Backed Condition: Poster arrived rolled and folded (the old “rolded” poster). Upon inspection was in good to very good condition with slightly more that typical fold wear for a theater used poster of this age. There was one area of non-machine folded creases and a near the Title. The front of the poster had very nice colors. The poster had a 3.5 inch tear in at the top center that was repaired by packing type tape and the poster had pin holes. The back side of the poster did show signs of age and there was writing in the title area. There was writing that was reduced with eraser. I did not take a picture of the back side of the poster; oops.
During Conservation: This poster was washed with a mild organic soap. The soap was sprayed onto both sides of the poster and was manipulated into the poster by gently rubbing the poster down while in between two mylar sheets. Some dirt was noticeable when rinsing. The poster was rinsed more than three times. No bleach was used on this poster. A mixture of CaCO3 was applied and the poster left to soak for ~20 minutes. A final distilled water wash was completed prior to applying a buffered wheat paste adhesive which also assist in conservation efforts as the CaCO3 in the wheat paste can surround acid molecules and protect the poster from further deterioration.
During Backing: Charlie utilized a CaCO3 buffered wheat paste solution to mount the poster Japanese masa paper that was mounted to raw 12 ounce cotton canvas immediately before. Once the poster was placed on the masa, the poster was inspected for air bubbles and/or large bumps from wheat paste that may have slipped through the strainer; none were observed and this poster backed very nicely.
Restoration: Unfortunately no pictures were taken during the touch-ups. We used water soluble wax based pastel sticks to do the touch-ups, as well as Dewert water colors pencils in some areas. The water soluble medium actually polished when buffed with a cotton ball and worked quite well… Update: Due to the possibility of “wax bloom” this poster was sprayed with Krylon Workable Fixative (Matte Finish) to “fix” the medium. This medium will no longer be used because of this reason.
Results: The poster turned out well. Again, the face area of the poster was extremely difficult and took some creative application and polishing techniques to blend multiple colors to get the right look. The folds on this poster seemed to draw color at different rates and after the application of the Workable Fixative some colors became darker. The area of the tear came up particularly well and involved laying a base black color and then shading in greens to get the right look.